Monday, December 25, 2006

Leaving Your Spouse, Al Anon Doesn't Help You Pack

Al Anon doesn’t come to your house and help you leave your spouse. No one comes and helps you pack. For a long time after I did leave, I felt like I’d gone through a ‘Hurricane Katrina’ experience, but by choice. It was as if I flipped the switch that allowed my personal hurricane to come to town. I got out safely with clothes, dog, car, computer (not in that order).
I’d read support material from Al-Anon. I understood alcoholism and its affects on family. Life with an alcoholic spouse can make the non-alcoholic feel like they are the ‘crazy one’. Add the safety concern and eventually you know you gotta’ go. Swirling ~ the aftermath ~ what you are left with, is swirling. A sense of calm is beyond your ability.
A twin size mattress (no bed frame) and blanket were placed on the floor in the corner; it seemed best located there. It wasn't pretty; but it was safe.
When reaching for a household item that no longer existed, scissors, a hand towel, items of daily life, I recalled, like a swack to the back of my head, "Oh, yes, those things are gone - I'd gone through my own personal hurricane!"
I aspired to put my shoulders back, chin up and move on assuredly, but it's so much easier said than done.
It helps to be able to acknowledge a crappy deal, for sure. Yeah, life ain't fair and I was sittin' in the middle of a big crappy deal.
Would I try to negotiate a better financial and practical situation? Probably no. For me, I had to go when I had to go. That was my ability at it's best and for me there just wasn‘t a good time to leave my spouse.

1 comment:

Ann said...

Thank you Patricia, You said it perfectly, my very situation. I am so depressed at the whole situation, Alanon does not help. Nothing does, but statements coming from those who have been there. Again, thank you.